For Magellan Healthcare's response to the novel coronavirus outbreak, please click here
Magellan Health is dedicated to helping to improve the lives of youth in Louisiana.
What is MY LIFE?
Magellan Youth Leaders Inspiring Future Empowerment
Magellan Youth Leaders Inspiring Future Empowerment (MY LIFE) is made up of youth between the ages of 13 and 23 who have experience with one or more of the following issues:
- Mental health
- Substance abuse
- Juvenile justice
- Foster care
MY LIFE was founded by Magellan Health Services in Arizona in 2008 and focuses on important issues affecting youth through:
- Regular meetings
- Special events
MY LIFE is helping to improve mental health, substance abuse, foster care and juvenile justice systems. It gives youth the chance to become leaders in their communities. Magellan Health Services is continuing to grow MY LIFE groups in Louisiana.
Click here for an overview of MY LIFE.
MY LIFE addresses three main issues:
- The lack of youth voice in developing and informing systems, programs and services for youth and young adults.
- The lack of opportunities for youth to develop leadership skills, social skills, talents and positive social supports.
- The need for youth to share their experiences with mental health, substance abuse and/or foster care-related challenges. Sharing these experiences helps to reduce stigma. It also helps provide inspiration to youth, family and the community.
Who can join MY LIFE?
MY LIFE groups and activities are open to any youth who:
- Is between the ages of 13 and 23 years old.
- Has experience with mental health, substance abuse and/or foster care-related issues.
That experience can be based on the youth's own challenges, or on her or his experience with a family member or friend who has faced these challenges. No application is needed to join this group. Any youth who attends a meeting or an event is considered a MY LIFE member.
Why join MY LIFE?
MY LIFE is a group where youth can:
- Feel supported
- Make friends
- Have fun
- Show off their talents
- Learn about topics that are important to them
MY LIFE gives youth a chance to build:
- Positive social supports
- Leadership skills
MY LIFE helps youth use their experiences to help others. It gives the chance to help improve the programs and systems that serve young people.
Adobe Reader is required to view PDF files.